Top takeaways from MACH Global Research 2023
For the third year in a row, the MACH Alliance surveyed 500 tech leaders from Australia, France, Germany, UK, and the US to understand how MACH investment has accelerated over the past 12 months and what impact it’s having on retailers’ ability to thrive in a difficult economy.
The MACH Alliance is an organization that promotes the use of open and best-of-breed enterprise technology ecosystems. It aims to provide the necessary standards and capabilities for different systems to communicate with each other and solve the software puzzle in the retail industry.
The MACH mindset emphasizes the flexibility of modern technology and the benefits of choosing tech solutions that best suit one’s needs, rather than being locked into a single proprietary system. It’s like being able to pick and choose the box of candy that you want at any time, rather than being restricted to a pre-packaged set.
Sitoo has been part of the MACH Alliance since 2022 and, as far as we’re concerned, it’s a quality stamp and one we’re delighted to receive. Innovation, a pioneering approach, and pushing boundaries of what’s possible with retail technology sit at the heart of everything we do – and this is why MACH matters to us.
We took a deep-dive into MACH’s Global Research and here are our top takeaways:
1. Many factors are influencing the decision to transition to MACH-based architecture
The decision to upgrade IT architecture is always a big one. The research found the top reasons for organizations looking to change are as follows:
- Flexibility: The need for a flexible IT infrastructure that can adapt to changing business needs and market conditions.
- Scalability: The need for an IT infrastructure that can scale up or down as needed to support business growth or contraction.
- Speed to market: The need to bring new products and services to market quickly to stay ahead of competitors and meet customer/end-user demands.
- Improved customer/end-user experience: The need to provide a better customer/end-user experience through faster, more responsive IT systems.
- Cost savings: The need to reduce IT costs and improve efficiency by adopting a more streamlined, modular approach to IT architecture.
2. Despite the benefits of a MACH-based approach, there are still barriers organizations are reluctant to overcome
The report found the biggest barriers to MACH architecture uptake include:
Integration concerns: Organizations may be hesitant to adopt MACH architecture due to concerns about integrating new technologies with existing systems and processes.
Security concerns: Organizations may be hesitant to adopt MACH architecture due to concerns about data security and privacy.
Cost concerns: Organizations may be hesitant to adopt MACH architecture due to concerns about the cost of implementing new technologies and the potential for disruption to existing systems and processes.
To overcome these barriers, the report suggests that organizations should:
- Develop a clear roadmap for MACH adoption that takes into account existing systems and processes and outlines a step-by-step approach to integration.
- Work with trusted vendors and partners to ensure that data security and privacy concerns are addressed and that appropriate safeguards are in place.
- Conduct a cost-benefit analysis to determine the potential return on investment of MACH adoption and identify areas where cost savings can be achieved.
3. Get the flexibility and responsiveness you need to thrive
Organizations have witnessed a remarkable shift towards MACH infrastructure in the last 12 months, with an impressive 85% reporting an increase in its adoption. This surge is attributed to the numerous benefits experienced by these organizations, including enhanced agility to respond quickly to market changes, accelerated development and implementation of new functionalities, and reduced operational costs. Moreover, those with higher MACH adoption rates confidently state that their infrastructure is well-equipped to meet customer demands and stay ahead of the competition, unlike their counterparts with lower MACH integration.
To stay ahead of the curve and foster innovation, IT leaders have identified key areas of focus. The top five priorities for front-office infrastructure enhancements, as highlighted by respondents, are as follows:
- Cloud-native applications
- Workflow automation to simplify and expedite processes
- Open APIs to facilitate seamless integration with third-party applications
- User-centric automation to minimize manual effort
- Intuitive and user-friendly interfaces
These chosen priorities signify a clear desire among companies to streamline and accelerate their workflows. When implemented effectively, these features enable businesses to attain the flexibility and responsiveness required to thrive in the dynamic market conditions of today.
In this rapidly changing business landscape, agility is of paramount importance. Embracing MACH principles within IT architecture is vital for agility as MACH-based systems are inherently adaptive, allowing rapid responses to environmental shifts. By breaking down applications into smaller, independent components that can be updated and deployed separately, organizations can readily adapt to market changes, evolving requirements, and emerging technologies.
The research found that, for companies that have already invested in flexible IT architecture, the capacity to respond nimbly is well within reach. However, those relying on monolithic systems face an opportune moment to break free from old paradigms and reshape their digital architecture. As the research respondents concur, the time to act is now.
Aaccess the MACH Global Research 2023